Date(s) - 07/10/2015
9:00 am - 1:00 pm
UWM Libraries E175
More workshops like this No Categories
There are 19 spaces reserved, 5 are still available.
Are you scheduled to teach an online or blended course? If so, the Online and Blended Teaching Program can help! The Online and Blended Teaching Program is a multi-day program that focuses on helping instructors redesign their courses for the online or blended format using pedagogically-effective methods and practices.
Participants should plan to attend three face-to-face meetings on the following dates:
- July 10, 9a-1p
- July 24, 9a-1p
- August 7, 9a-1p
Each face-to-face session will consist of two required parts. During the first part of each session (9am-12pm), program facilitators will lead discussions and activities focused on key pedagogical considerations for online and blended instruction. Topics discussed over the course of the program include:
- Using backward design for learning module creation
- Delivering digital content
- Developing effective online assignments and activities
- Assessing student assignments
- Managing instructor workload
- Supporting students
- Building presence and community
- Evaluating courses
During the second part of each face-to-face session (12pm-1pm), program facilitators will provide technical training for key technologies often used in online and blended courses, which include:
- Creating news announcements in D2L
- Uploading content in D2L
- Using the D2L gradebook
- Creating groups and discussions in D2L
- Developing course content
- Using D2L rubrics
- Developing surveys for course evaluation
Participants should also plan to engage in online activities between the face-to-face sessions that will aid in building a piece of their future course. These activities will require 2-3 hours per week and will include:
- Viewing presentations and reading articles
- Taking a quiz on content, activities, and assessment
- Participating in asynchronous discussion forums
- Developing a usable learning module for a redesigned course
By registering for this event, you are registering for all three dates (7/10, 7/24, and 8/7), even though the e-mail confirmation will only have the first date (due to registration system limitations).
Our program is activity-based, so please bring a laptop or tablet to all three sessions, if possible. For more information, or to request special accommodations, please contact Dylan Barth at 414-229-4319.
Registration is closed for this workshop.